- Social control
- Informal economy
- Legal consciousness and law in everyday life
- Everyday forms of resistance
- Climate adaptation
- Local democracy
My research focuses on the relationship between the law and everyday citizens, mostly in informal settlements and the informal economy. I am particularly interested in what everyday forms of resistance tell us about local governance, state legitimacy and the role of the law. I am currently working on the following research projects:
- FORMAS project: ICARUS: Illuminating power dynamics in Cross-scale Adaptation for more Resilient and Just Futures
- HORIZON-CL6-2022-COMMUNITIES-01-05 - Assessing the socio-politics of nature-based solutions for more inclusive and resilient communities (2023-2025).
- VR project “: Explaining inclusive lower-level urbanization in Tanzania and Uganda” (2021-2023).
- FORMAS project “Everyday forms of resistance to state adaptation regulation: An ethnographic study of responses in informal settlements” (2019-2023).
I am an academic passionate about connecting research and practice. I have developed different spaces for long-term partnerships between researchers and local governments, including labs and talks for mutual learning on complex problems. We have also developed a publication series of policy briefs, video policies, case-based learning and dilemmas to help local governments access the latest research on topics of political interest. I teach different courses in sociology of law and criminology at the bachelor's level.
Displaying of publications. Sorted by year, then title.
My academic background includes a PhD in sociology of law from Lund University and the University of Milan. My thesis was awarded the prize for Best Dissertation in Sweden in the field of working environment by Forum for Working Life Research in 2016. I have published research on inclusive urbanization and local democracy, the everyday life of street vendors and rickshaw drivers, the local politics of air pollution, and everyday forms of resistance to urban politics, recently with a focus on climate change adaptation. I am from Colombia where I studied Law at the National University.