The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Fees, study leave & practical matters

Frequently asked questions about tuition, studying and living

Tuition fees

From the autumn semester of 2011, Swedish universities, including Lund University, have introduced tuition fees for students from outside the EU/EEA (and Switzerland). Fees apply to undergraduate and postgraduate courses and programmes (i.e. Bachelor’s and Master’s level courses and programmes).

Students who do not pay tuition fees:

  • Students from within the EU/EEA will not be charged fees.
  • Exchange students (from all countries) will not be charged tuition fees.

How much are tuition fees at the Faculty of Social Sciences at Lund University?

Read more about tuition fees at Lund University

Transfer of credits

As a student, you are entitled to apply for a transfer of credits from previous studies. This applies to studies completed both in Sweden and abroad, including exchange studies.

Use this form to apply for transfer of credits (pdf, new tab)

Approved leave/Notification of interruption of studies

A study break can be taken for a maximum of one academic year at a time. You apply by filling in the form below.

Application for approved leave/Notification of interruption of studies (PDF, new tab)

Practical matters

Am I allowed to get a part-time job in Lund?

Yes, if your residence permit allows you to work during your studies here in Lund. However, based on experience, there is little time left for work outside your studies so you cannot rely on this entirely as your financial support. Also, it may be quite difficult to find a part-time job in Lund, especially if you do not speak Swedish.

What is the cost of living in Lund?

Learn more about the cost of living in Sweden on the Graduate School's website.

How can I find accommodation?

Lund University has a special department that helps international students with housing. All admitted students will receive further information about this.

Read more about housing at Lund University's international website.

How can I arrange my residence permit?

If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA, you must apply for a residence permit. Apply for your residence permit as soon as you receive your letter of admission. The process can take quite some time so it is important that you start as early as possible. You apply for the permit through the Swedish Embassy/Consulate in your home country and they have more information about what material is needed for the application.

The Swedish Migration Board

Can I apply for a scholarship?

SASOL does not offer any scholarships.

Please see Scholarships and awards on Lund University's international website.

How much work is involved in terms of hours per week?

The workload varies a little from course to course, especially when it comes to the hours of scheduled lectures. However, we estimate that this programme is at least a full-time programme, which means 40 hours per week (both class and group study).