Gaining knowledge about law in society
Researching the legal system's possibilities, limitations and dependence on the surrounding community. What part do norms, rules and laws play in the family environment, at school, at work or in society as a whole?
At the Sociology of Law Department family research coexists with research on public construction contracts, informal workers' situation in Colombia is examined at the same time as digital norms and gender. Research is also carried out on socio-legal theory, social welfare and many other areas.
Our research has a wide span, which contributes to interesting discussions, while also finding its common ground in its examination of law and norms.
Active research projects
- Administrative Law Reform and Legal Integration in Hybrid Political Regimes
- Barnens och barnets bästa - möjligheter och utmaningar (Swedish)
- Business as usual. Corporate defence strategies against accusations of crime
- Central Asian Law: Legal Cultures and Business Environments in Central Asia
- Digitalization and Legal Responsibility
- Hate and threats against journalists: consequences for freedom of speech and democracy (Swedish)
- Immobile by Algorithm: International Law in the Age of Technological Control of Migration
- Islamic Law Egypt - Adjudicating Islamic Family Law in Egypt: Continuity and Rupture
- Law in action - Policy and legal responses to the exploitation of migrant workers in the Nordic countries
- Migration, Shadow Economy and Parallel Legal Orders in Russia
- RePo: Reimagining Police and Public Safety
- Responses to Labour Exploitation in Sweden - Representations of Victims and Access to Justice
- The Multilevel Orders of Corruption - Insights from a Post-Soviet Context
- The Role of Social Norms in Fighting Corruption in Local Governments: A Case Study of the School System of Cau Giay in Hanoi
Current doctoral projects
The department's PhD students are engaged in many interesting doctoral projects which you will find presented on their personal pages below.
- Hate and threats against journalists: Consequences for freedom of speech and democracy
- Necropolitics, Juridico-political right to kill, Right to death
- Inform, Nudge, Replace: How digital systems drive changes in urban behaviors
- Caring for Animals in a Time of Ecological Disturbances: Law and the Crisis of Anthropocentrism
- ’Going once, going twice, sold!’ The Hammer of Law and Other Social Control Responses: Studies of Foreclosure in Sweden
- Scale games and urban cultural governance in Bogotá (Colombia): A multiple case study
- Economic (un)security; What happens when migrations and latent dysfunctions of the law meet via Swedish Enforcement Authority?
- Between Law and Risk
Director of Research Studies
Telephone: +46 46 222 88 38
E-mail: ida [dot] nafstad [at] soclaw [dot] lu [dot] se